Site icon United Fact

Nevada boy dies: from an uncommon amoeba that feeds on brains

Nevada boy dies

Nevada boy dies

State health authorities in Nevada said on Wednesday that a little kid had died from an infection with a rare brain-eating amoeba. The boy had likely been exposed to the amoeba at Lake Mead.

The Southern Nevada Health District said in a news release that a young man under the age of 18 who lived in Clark County had died from complications related to Naegleria fowleri.

The health department speculated that the boy was exposed around the beginning of October on the Arizona side of Lake Mead (which spans the Nevada border) and that his symptoms appeared “about a week later.”

The park has been contacted by NBC News for a response.

The “free-living microscopic bacterium” Naegleria fowleri “amoeba, according to the CDC, can be found in warm waters such as lakes and rivers, and, less frequently, in improperly chlorinated swimming pools or heated and polluted tap water.”

Patient sickness was traced to Naegleria fowleri, and the CDC informed the Health District of this. Read more: A Judge Judges on Ethan Crumbley’s Custody Placement

Nevada boy dies

People get infected with the amoeba because it “enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain,” as stated by the Southern Nevada Health District. The illness is lethal in nearly all cases, but it is highly uncommon.

The effects of the amoeba on the human body were detailed in the press release. Primary amebic meningoencephalitis is caused by the amoeba infection and is a brain infection that begins with headache, fever, nausea, or vomiting and develops to a stiff neck, convulsions, coma, and ultimately death. It normally takes approximately five days following infection for symptoms to appear.

Dr. Fermin Leguen, the District Health Officer, expressed his sadness at the loss of the young man’s loved ones. I want the public to know that this particular sickness is incredibly unusual, but I also recognize that this is of little solace to his loved ones right now.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises against swimming in warm freshwater during the summer, keeping one’s nostrils closed or one’s head above water, and not submerging one’s head in hot springs or other untreated geothermal waters. Read more: NBA Official Tony Brown Passes Away at the Age of 55, After a Long Fight With Cancer


According to the Southern Nevada Health District, a young child who had been infected with a parasite that consumes the brain and was found in the Kingman Aash region on the Arizona side of Lake Mead was unable to recover from his sickness and passed away as a result.

If you sign up for updates at, you’ll always know the latest news. You may want to sign up for our updates if you appreciate reading stories like the one you’re currently viewing.

Exit mobile version