Speed News Portal

Two Dead in Los Alamos Shooting; Nearby Man with Gun Believed Unrelated

On Wednesday, January 5, gun violence broke out on a street in Los Alamos in two distinct events. One of the episodes resulted in the deaths of two persons. According to a news release issued by the Los Alamos Police Department, around 4:12 p.m. on Wednesday, officers from the Los Alamos Police Department were sent to the Denver Steels area after receiving a 911 call reporting a victim who had been shot.

Two victims who had been shot were discovered by police inside a residence located on 34th Street. According to the statement, medical personnel did their best to assist the victims; nevertheless, both of them ultimately succumbed to their injuries and were pronounced dead.

Although Deputy Chief Oliver Morris stated that the department is launching a criminal investigation, details on the killings remain limited, and the police have not yet labeled them as homicides. However, they are investigating the deaths as possible criminal acts.

You May Be Interested In:

In a conversation that took place on Thursday, he stated, “We’re not going to comment on that yet, but we plan on doing that, and maybe we’ll have more information tomorrow.”

Morris did not identify the victims but stated that their names will be made public after they’re next of kin have been notified and that he will not disclose their identities. Officers had been alerted to 34th Street in response to a 911 call stating that a man was firing a gun inside a home approximately four hours prior to the discovery of the remains of the individuals who had been shot to death by gunfire.

Los Alamos High School was placed in a “protected state” and a perimeter was established by the police surrounding the residence. After being evaluated at a nearby hospital, David N. Dye, 57, was taken into custody and placed in the Los Alamos County jail on charges of aggravated assault and negligent use of a firearm. Both charges stem from the same incident.

Witnesses at the residence reported to police that Dye was brandishing a firearm and making suicidal threats, as stated in an affidavit for an arrest warrant that was submitted to the Los Alamos County Magistrate Court. Dye reportedly told the person who tried to take the gun away from him to “Get back” before pointing the rifle at the individual’s chest and ordering them to do so. According to Morris, the detectives believe that the two instances are not related to one another.

Comments are closed.