Speed News Portal

Virginia Teacher’s Interview After Being Shot by 6-year-old

For the first time since the January incident, the first-grade teacher who was reportedly shot by a 6-year-old pupil in her Newport News, Virginia, classroom has come out, telling NBC that she has tried to “remain optimistic.” I’ve been doing alright. More than two months after the January 6 incident at Richneck Elementary School left Abigail Zwerner hospitalized with gunshot wounds to the hand and chest, she told NBC’s Savannah Guthrie, “It’s been tough.

Zwerner admitted to NBC that “some days are not so good days” when he struggles to get out of bed. It’s better some days than others for me to get out of bed and go to my appointments. But in light of all I’ve been through, I make an effort to be optimistic. An official from the hospital has confirmed that Zwerner was discharged last month.

According to NBC, the teacher has had four operations since the shooting, the most recent being on her hand, which Zwerner is still unable to completely use. According to Newport News Commonwealth’s Attorney Howard Gwynn, the youngster who is accused of shooting Zwerner won’t face any criminal charges.

The student’s family issued a statement in which they claimed that the youngster had an “acute disability” and was subject to a care plan that called for a parent to accompany him to school, even though he was not accompanied on the day of the shooting. The statement stated, “We shall forever regret our absence on this day.

You can also check the latest news down below:

According to a legal notice sent to the Newport News School Board by Zwerner’s attorney, the student was suspended for one day two days prior to the shooting after allegedly “slamming” and breaking Zwerner’s cell phone and cursing at guidance counselors. The legal notice also informed officials about the teacher’s intention to sue school administrators.

The student returned to Zwerner’s classroom after the one-day ban and shot her, according to the affidavit. Zwerner’s attorney, Diane Toscano, claims that on the day of the incident, worried instructors and staff informed administrators three times that the student was armed and posing a threat. Toscano claimed that despite having “knowing of imminent risk,” the authorities “failed to act.”

Regarding the potential litigation, the school system has refrained from speaking. After the incident, there was an immediate backlash from parents that resulted in the school board voting to fire Superintendent George Parker III. Two weeks after the incident, Richneck Elementary’s assistant principal, Ebony Parker, resigned, and the principal, Briana Foster Newton, was transferred to another school, though the district would not specify which one.

Listed below, you can see the most recent news:

According to Pamela Branch, Newton’s attorney, the former principal was unaware of the pistol in the school. The truth is that no one told Mrs. Newton about the possibility that the student may have had a pistol on the campus that day, according to Branch. As part of an ongoing investigation, the school district previously informed that it was unable to comment on whether Newton or anyone else was made aware of a possible gun on campus.


“With a range of categories spanning from A to Z, there’s no shortage of fascinating content waiting to be discovered on our site.”


Comments are closed.